The stuff dreams are made of…

wrestlerAs you might have read, I have been super excited about taking my youngest son to his first WWE show.  If you missed that post, you can find it HERE.  I had always hoped that at least one of my 5 children would catch the wrestling bug that I have had almost my entire life.  When I heard my 5 year old screaming in his room for his favorite wrestlers I was really hopeful.  Well, my hopes were not in vain because we went to the show and my son is now a fan for life!

The show started around 7:30 pm so I wanted to get there in plenty of time.  Of course my son’s bus had to be late to drop him off so we were delayed a  bit.  Then we hit traffic on the way to the arena, oddly enough, this didn’t seem to upset Chase one bit.  He was just so excited about the show and kept asking who was going to be there.

Once we were in the arena, we were going to stick to the plan.  First make sure we hit the bathroom, then hit the concession stand, get a couple of shirts for us to rock and then finally get to our seats.  The plan started out pretty good.  We got to the bathroom and there were no lines.  We were in and out.  It turns out that all the lines were in concessions and the souvenir stands!  We waited for 20 minutes to get popcorn and a drink for the little guy.  Little did I know that I could have went to the lower level (which was closer to our seats) and waited in a much shorter line.  We didn’t even try to get shirts at this point.  We didn’t want to miss one second of the show.

I will go ahead and state for the record that holding a 5 year old’s hand while also holding a big tub of popcorn and an open 20 ounce bottle of soda in a packed arena is quite difficult.  I figured it was only a matter of time before something spilled.  As I am struggling to hold onto everything ( including my son) we had to make our way down to the lower level.  Once we were down there, the usher informs us that we are at the wrong side of the arena.  We literally had to be on the complete opposite side.

We fought through the masses and made our way down to our seats.  These were the best seats that I have ever had in my life.  I have been a fan for over 20 years and had never been this close and my son is mere feet from the ring on his first time out.  I am sure that isn’t what they mean when they say that you should want better for you children than what you had but I was really excited for him.

Chase was a big ball of excitement mixed with nervous energy.  He smiled the entire time and asked me over and over when it is going to start.  I was so excited for him that I didn’t even mind.  I just kept say that it would start soon.  When the ring announcer came out, I could see his little face light up.  It was the same look that I had as a kid when I discovered wrestling.  I almost teared up right then, but I didn’t.

Chase slowly came out of his shell during the show.  He went from silently clapping to chanting USA with the crowd.  Once that seal was broken, he chanted everything along with the crowd.  He was turning into a full blown fan right before my eyes.  Like I said, I have been a fan for over 20 years and this just made me fall in love with it all over again.  Sharing this experience with Chase was the best experience we have ever had together and just brought us closer.

As an adult and long time fan, I gain a lot of respect for the performers too.  The way they played to the crowd and just left it all in the ring.  This especially applies to Dolph Ziggler and John Cena.  I have been to a ton of shows in my life.  Mostly WWE but I have seen other less popular companies.  Sometimes you can tell that since it is just a house show, some guys just phone in their performance.  That was not the case here.  Ziggler put on a Pay Per View caliber performance.  He was cranked to 11 the entire time and I can tell that he will have a long successful career.

When it was time for the main event, Chase got super pumped up.  I had no idea that three little words would send my little man into a frenzy.  All it took was ” Feed me more!” and his little mind was blown.  Out came Ryback who is one of his favorites.  Here is my 5 year old chanting “Feed me more” at the top of his lungs along with the entire arena.  He went completely nuts.  All of a sudden Sheamus comes out and he is still losing his mind.  His excitement level is higher than I have ever seen.  That is, until the next person comes out.

All of a sudden John Cena’s music hits and it was like a teen aged girl at a Justin Beiber concert.  He has now gone full blown fanatic!  We both watched as his three favorite wrestlers took on The Shield and he stayed pumped the entire time.   Cena was especially great.  He played up to the kids big time.  It was like watching the wrestlers of old telling us to take our vitamins and say our prayers.  It was obvious to me at this point why Cena is the top guy.  He is there because he loves it and it shows.

When the match was over I was a little sad.  This wonderful experience with my son was coming to an end.  When I saw Ryback, Sheamus, and Cena walking around the ring I knew Chase would want to give them a high five so we stepped up to the guard rail.  Cena was walking right toward us and Chase was going crazy sticking out his hand.  Just as he was going to fulfill his dream of high fiving his favorite wrestler, Cena was distracted by another fan and Chase pulled his hand back for just a second and Cena never saw him.  My little man was heart broken.  When I saw his little eyes well up, then I was heart broken.

I tried to do everything I could to remind him of this great time we just had.  We went up to the shop and got some shirts and he insisted on getting the John Cena arm and head bands.  That cheered him up a bit.  He did still harp on it a while though.  He kept saying “I’m sad because I couldn’t reach John Cena to get a high five”.  He also kept saying “I just wanted to five my favorite wrestler”.  I just explained to him that it was nobody’s fault.  I told him that it wouldn’t be his last time because we will go to these shows together for the rest of our lives.   That made him happy.

All in all it was a great experience.  I wouldn’t trade a second of it for the world.  Chase and I bonded over something we both love and his ADHD never became an issue there.  I was worried that it would be a factor in his demeanor but it didn’t at all.  He was amazing, the show was amazing, and the time we got to spend together was amazing too!

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to my blog to have my posts sent (once daily) via email.
This blog may contain links to sponsored content. Please see my disclosure policy for details.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.